Saturday, May 21, 2011

Ice House Canyong Trail in Mt. Baldy, CA

Rating: You Should Go

The Ice House Canyon Trail is a fairly easy trail in Mt. Baldy (I mean, I work from home all day and hardly exercise and I was fine on it).  It's the gateway to several other trails so it's hard to find information just on the canyon trail.  From the sign at the trail head I discovered the canyon trail itself is 2.6 miles long before it reaches Ice House Saddle Trail (that's 5.2 miles round trip).  I think I probably hiked half that distance when I went.

The trail itself is beautiful.  It runs along a river and passes waterfalls.  It's shady in most spots (which can make it surprisingly colder than the average weather in the valley).  A part of the trail was actually a shallow river when I went because of the melting snow, so make sure to wear shoes with good traction.  Besides that, a light sweater and a bottle of water was all I needed on this hike.  This would also be a nice hike to take a picnic along.  In the winter, the trail is covered in snow but still a nice hike, which can make it more fun than trekking up steep sled hills if you just want to experience the snow.

There is a parking lot at the end of Mt Baldy Road right next to the trail head.  You need an Adventure Pass that can be purchased at the Mt. Baldy Visitor Center or onlineDay passes are $5 and annual passes are $30 per vehicle.  Considering cost of a gym pass and a chance to exercise in the beauty of nature, this is a good deal and definitely worth stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment