Monday, January 9, 2012

Nubia Cafe in Anaheim, CA

Rating: You Might Like It

Nubia Cafe is an Arabic restaurant and hookah bar in Anaheim.  I had never been to a hookah bar before, but it was a place Nathan and his roommates liked to frequent when they were in college and I got invited along so I couldn't pass up the opportunity.  The place is a little hard to find.  Just look for the bright yellow signs along the strip mall (to the right of the Dollar Tree).  There is very little parking that isn't reserved in the lot attached to the restaurant, but there's tons in
front of the Dollar Tree next door so I would suggest just pulling in there.  (Plus, a bunch of people were double parked in front of the restaurant so I wouldn't want to take a chance getting blocked in).

My first reaction was I could understand why I had never gone before.  This is a place for men.  I only counted 4 other women while I was there, and the place was packed.  The inside part isn't much to look at.  There are just a bunch of tables and people sitting around smoking their hookah.  The outside area is surprisingly huge, and I would recommend sitting out there if you have a problem with smoke (like I do).  It's the kind of place you just walk in and find a table, so don't expect anyone to come help seat you.  You probably also want to go with at least one person that smokes hookah since that is how they make their money (at $12 per order) and you might get bad service otherwise.

Chicken "Pizza"
Nate and I don't smoke hookah but the friends we went with did.  They have lots of different flavors, and the two of them both shared one order of blueberry hookah (they give each person their own mouth-piece for sanitary purposes).  I ordered a lamb kabob plate and our friends ordered fries and "pizza".  I say that in quotes because it was really pita bread topped with everything imaginable.  It looked really good (see picture) but comes with a TON of onions and no sauce.  The lamb plate was SOOO good.  It was pieces of lamb over rice with hummus, mint dipping sauce, and cooked vegetables.  It also came with warm pita bread so you could stuff it all in sandwich -style if you wanted.  It was a large portion, enough for Nate and I to share, and only cost $12.  The pizza and most other items only cost $5-$6.

The service was hit-and-miss.  The hookah came out quickly, but don't expect the food in a hurry.  Also, if you're thirsty, order something besides water.  Apparently they're notorious for always forgetting to bring people's waters.  The only other thing I didn't like about their service was the men ordered and were served first.  I don't know if that was just my waiter or if that's how the place runs (the group we went with had never been with a girl before so they didn't know either), but it may be good to keep in mind.  When I tried to order, the waiter interrupted me to make sure Nate ordered first.  Besides that, the atmosphere is great.  It's the kind of place where people take their time and play games, so bring some cards or even a checkers board to play and just hang out.  I really liked it, but you have to decide for yourself if this is your kind of place.

No comments:

Post a Comment