Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Phantom of the Opera

Rating: You Might Like It


Nathan and I saw Phantom of the Opera at the Pantages Theater in Los Angeles as an early Christmas present from my parents.  My parents had seen the musical when I was 10
and I had spent a lot of time after that singing along with the cassette tapes they had bought at the performance.  Needless to say, I was really looking forward to this.  I love Pantages Theater itself.  It's beautiful and there's really no bad seat in the house.  Unfortunately, the performance did not match its surroundings.  The group that performed it was called the Really Useful Theatre Company, Inc.  No one's singing really blew me away, and some of the side characters were not very good at all.  I liked the story, although it was a little hard to follow at times.  I think with better singers this could have been a really good experience.  As it was, however, at $85 a ticket for mid-range seats, I would recommend seeing it performed by a different troupe.  If you can, it would probably be something You Should Go to.

No comments:

Post a Comment