Sunday, November 14, 2010

Dana Point Turkey Trot 5K/10K

Rating: You Should Go

I first heard about the Dana Point Turkey Trot when my sister-in-law got myself and her parents to run the 5K with her.  Ok, so she ran it with a friend while her parents and I walked the entire way (I ran at the end simply because I refused to let a poodle beat me to the finish line).  Now despite what I'm about the tell you, I love doing this 5K and plan to do it again for many years.  Nevertheless, Thanksgiving Day 2008
happened to be the day the southern California sky decided to open up and pour down rain like it never has before.  By the time we walked to the registration table we were drenched all the way through.  I was new to 5K's and had stupidly worn jeans, so I was at least 5lbs heavier at the start of the race.  (By the way, the sky cleared up by the time the race began and the rest of the day was beautiful, of course.)

Anyway, the course for the Turkey Trot is wide and runs along a beautiful harbor, and the proceeds for the event go to Second Harvest Food Bank, so I decided to do it again the next year with Nate.  We actually got to jog about 1/3 of the course, which made it go much faster.  It was a fun and rather relaxing way to start the Thanksgiving weekend.  We are going this year and hopefully joining the 10K (if it doesn't fill up before we register).

The important things to know about this race:  You have to search a long time for parking unless you come very early.  Last year we had to park 4 blocks uphill from registration (a hill we had to walk up after the race to get back to our car).  Registration is $40 a person ($35 if you register early).  You get a shirt and some swag with your registration fee.  It's good to register early so you can get sponsors to help raise money for the food bank and there are prizes for first place in different categories (if you're the competitive type).  The view and the cool harbor air are what really make it for me, though.  This is a very fun and healthy way to help others.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I want to do this with you guys this year. Sounds amazing!
    P.S. I'm super happy to be reading a new post...it's nice to have you back. :)

    ReplyDelete