Thursday, January 24, 2013

Jackie Bristow Memorial 5k in San Dimas, CA

My friend and I AFTER the race
Rating: You Should Go

This walk just happened to coincide with the end of my 5k training plan and was for a good cause, so my friend and I joined their 5th annual run for eating disorders. The cost was $25 a person (which includes a T-shirt and timing chip) and proceeds go to the Jackie Bristow Memorial Foundation for girls with
eating disorders. It has a small following right now, maybe a couple hundred people showed up. They had great vendors giving things away, some local musicians playing and singing, a pancake breakfast, T-shirts, timing chips, and even laptops set up at the end for you to immediately check your time. The only thing that wasn't the best was the signage. It took us a while to figure out where to register and where the race began and ended. There was a children's 1k fun run at 8:00am, then the 5k started at 8:30am. The course was well-marked and fairly easy (the hills were a little tough but not impossible for a new runner like me to overcome). It was very cold the morning of the run and I was comfortable in pants and a jacket the entire run, but I usually feel cold. Some people wore T-shirts and shorts but not many. My favorite thing about this run (besides the cause) was that as we neared the finish line, the announcer said our names for people to cheer us on. I've never been in a race where I've been recognized by name, which felt really good after completing my first 5k run. We didn't eat any of the pancakes afterwards but they smelled delicious. I think this is a great race to be a part of whether you walk or run (although there were a lot of runners at this one) and we'll probably do it again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment